New Pokemon Arrival: Clamperl
On February 19th, Niantic announced a new arrival to the Pokemon encounters: Clamperl! Clamperl will be available as a Limited Research Event on February 23rd(24th in APAC). During the 3 hour event(same as Community Day hours):
- 2x Catch Stardust for Water-type Pokemon
- Water-type Pokemon spawn more frequently
- Limited Research tasks available that reward Clamperl
- Clamperl will evolve randomly into either Huntail or Gorebyss per Serebii
Huntail and Gorebyss have some slight use for PvP but are not expected to be relevant to the meta. See above for their Pokemon pages, and see below for the full announcement.
Full Announcement Text
It’s time to put your research skills to the test! Professor Willow is looking to conduct Limited Research on the Water-type Pokémon Clamperl. Spin the Photo Disc at nearby PokéStops to obtain Field Research tasks that lead to encounters with this tough-shelled Bivalve Pokémon. While you’re completing research, keep an eye out for other Water-type Pokémon, such as Krabby and Wailmer! See more details below:
Event Date + Time
- Europe, the Middle East, Africa, and India: Feb. 23, 2019, from 10:00 a.m. to 1:00 p.m. UTC (GMT +0)
- The Americas and Greenland: Feb. 23, 2019, from 11:00 a.m. to 2:00 p.m. PST (GMT −8)
- Asia-Pacific: Feb. 24, 2019, from 12:00 p.m. to 3:00 p.m. JST (GMT +9)
- Receive 2× Catch Stardust for Water-type Pokémon during the three-hour window.
- Water-type Pokémon will appear more frequently in the wild during the event.
- Limited Research tasks will be available when you spin Photo Discs at PokéStops.
- Completing the Limited Research tasks will award you encounters with Clamperl.
Clamperl might clam up during Limited Research, so exploring is key! As long as you’ve collected the Limited Research during the event window, you can complete it at any time. Don’t forget—you’ll need to venture onward to many PokéStops in order to get new Field Research tasks and encounter as many Clamperl as possible!
—The Pokémon GO team