To follow up Holloween, Niantic has announced a special event celebrating the holiday The Day of the Dead, which is celebrated by many countries around the world. This holiday is a celebration of those who have gone before us, and will be celebrated in Pokemon Go with various bonuses and special spawns.
The Day of the Dead Celebration
|Event Start||Event End|
|November 1, 2020, at 10:00 a.m. local time||November 2, 2020, at 11:59 p.m. local time|
- Poffins will be made available as Go Battle League rewards
- A special box will be available that includes Poffins, Starpieces, and Raid passes
- Special snapshot encounters will be available
- A special selection of Pokemon will be appearing in the wild
- A special selection of Pokemon will be attracted to Incense
Exclusive Field Research tasks will be available that enable special Pokemon encounters
The news posts states that this event is for "Trainers in Latin America", but does not explicitly state that it will not be a global event. While it's likely that this event will not be global, it is possible.
This year, spirits will return! In addition to our annual Halloween event in Pokémon GO, we will be celebrating the Day of the Dead for the first time with a special event for Trainers in Latin America.
The Day of the Dead is a holiday observed in Mexico and other parts of the Americas that celebrates the lives and the memory of family and friends who are no longer with us. In Mexican tradition, it’s said that the spirits of the deceased return to the world of the living during this special time to share a joyful celebration with their loved ones, surrounded by candles, flowers, fruit, bread, sugar skulls, incense, and other traditional foods and decorations!
Date + Time
Sunday, November 1, 2020, at 10:00 a.m. to Monday, November 2, 2020, at 11:59 p.m. local time
- Pokémon representing the different elements of the Day of the Dead will appear! In the wild, be on the lookout for Cubone, Sunflora, Roselia, Cacnea, Duskull, and Litwick appearing more frequently.
- The following Pokémon will be attracted more frequently to Incense: Gastly, Misdreavus, Absol, Shuppet, Duskull, Drifloon, and Litwick.
- Complete exclusive Field Research tasks to encounter Pokémon such as Marowak, Alolan Marowak, Murkrow, and Duskull. If you’re lucky, you might even encounter a Shiny one!
- When sharing Pan de Muerto with friends and family, don’t forget to battle together! Poffins will be available as rewards on GO Battle League rewards tracks.
- Check the shop for a special box featuring Incense, Poffins, Star Pieces, and Remote Raid Passes!
- Take a few snapshots for a surprise!
It’s always a good time to celebrate life and good memories with our friends, both old and new. Have fun, stay safe, and enjoy, Trainers! Let’s GO!
Please be aware of your surroundings and follow guidelines from local health authorities when playing Pokémon GO. Upcoming events are subject to change. Be sure to follow us on social media, opt in to receiving push notifications, and subscribe to our emails to stay updated. For the latest on in-game events and feature updates, be sure to check this help center article.
—The Pokémon GO team