At the start of the month, the Life Pokemon Xerneas gracefully stepped out of the shadows and took center stage (while also fumbling along the way and face-planting into the bottom tier of Legendary Pokemon). Now its time in the spotlight is drawing to a close, and it's preparing to depart in much the same way that it came. Soon, the rise of the Detruction Pokemon Yveltal will begin and it will break the horizon and rise (to mediocrity).
Well, at least we get a second fun event to ease the blow of these glorious failures!
Luminous Legends Y
This event will be split up into two halves, each with its own unique set of bonuses.
|Event Start||Event Start|
|May 18, 2021 at 10:00 a.m. local time||May 24, 2021, at 8:00 p.m. local time|
- The Destruction Pokemon Yveltal will make its debut in Five Star Raids
- 12k eggs will have a semi-new set of Pokemon hatching from them
- Dark Type Pokemon will be spawning in the wild more frequently
- A Team Go-Rocket timed research line will be availabe
- Dark Type Pokemon will be hatching from 7k eggs
- Dark Type Pokemon will be appearing in raids
- Field Research and AR-mapping tasks will be available, rewarding Dark Type Pokemon, including Galarian Zigzagoon
- Throughout this entire portion of the event, Charged TMs will be able to remove Frustration from shadow Pokemon!
- If players can take down 25 million Team Rocket Grunts during this half of the event, then the following bonuses will be available during the second:
- 3x Catch XP
- Shiny Galarian Zigzagoon will be available
- Galarian Zigzagoon will be available in raids
|Event Start||Event End|
|May 25, 2021, at 10:00 a.m. local time||May 31, 2021, at 8:00 p.m. local time|
- Select wild-spawns from Part 1 will continue to spawn during Part 2
- Certain Pokemon will spawn in the wild more frequently
- A special selection of Pokemon will hatch from 7k eggs
- Eeveelutions will be appearing in raids
- Field Research Tasks will feature Eevee and Eeveelutions
- AR Mapping Tasks will be available, potentially rewarding Poffins
- The last of the current Eeveelutions, the Fairy Type Sylveon, will make its debut in Pokemon Go
- Sylveon-inspired avatar items will be available
Following Xerneas’s recent arrival in Pokémon GO, the Legendary Pokémon Yveltal will soon be making its Pokémon GO debut in the Luminous Legends Y event! Dark-type Pokémon will also be appearing more often in the wild, and Pancham will be hatching from Strange Eggs.
It seems, however, that Team GO Rocket has gotten wind of Yveltal’s arrival—and naturally, they’re up to no good! They appear to be planning on turning more Pokémon into Shadow Pokémon during the first week of the Luminous Legends Y event, so we’ll need your help to save those Shadow Pokémon! We’re also receiving reports that some Team GO Rocket Grunts will be changing up their battle strategies. You might encounter some that specialize in different Pokémon types than in the past, and multiple Team GO Rocket Grunts may even challenge you at once!
During the second week of Luminous Legends Y, the focus will shift to Fairy-type Pokémon and Eevee. Why, exactly?
Because Sylveon will be making its Pokémon GO debut! The Intertwining Pokémon is an Evolution of Eevee first discovered in the Kalos region. There’s a Galarian fairy tale that describes a beautiful Sylveon vanquishing a dreadful dragon Pokémon—making Sylveon the perfect Pokémon to appear at the end of this dark-themed event. Look forward to this Fairy-type vanquisher of darkness, dread, and dragons during Part 2 of Luminous Legends Y!
Part 1 Date + Time
Tuesday, May 18, 2021, at 10:00 a.m. to Monday, May 24, 2021, at 8:00 p.m. local time
Part 1 Features
- Yveltal will make its Pokémon GO debut in five-star raids! This Dark- and Flying-type Legendary Pokémon was first discovered in the Kalos region, and when its wings and tail feathers spread wide and glow red, it absorbs the life force of living creatures. Yveltal will remain in five-star raids for the duration of the event.
- Pancham will be hatching from Strange Eggs! We’re receiving reports that the following Pokémon will also be hatching from Strange Eggs rescued from Team GO Rocket during the event and afterwards as well: Qwilfish, Larvitar, Absol, Skorupi, Sandile, Scraggy, Pawniard, Vullaby, and Deino.
- Dark-type Pokémon will be appearing more frequently in the wild. Keep a look out for Pokémon like Houndour, Carvanha, and more.
- Missed out on some of the Pokémon that appeared during Luminous Legends X? Well, you’re in luck—because many of them are returning! You can look out for Pokémon like Spritzee, Swirlix, and Goomy appearing in the wild.
- Complete Team GO Rocket–themed Timed Research before the event concludes to encounter Dark-type Pokémon like Galarian Zigzagoon.
- The following Pokémon will be hatching from 7 km Eggs: Alolan Rattata, Alolan Meowth, Alolan Grimer, Sneasel, Poochyena, Stunky, and Purrloin.
- Dark-type Pokémon like Alolan Meowth, Yveltal, and more will be appearing in raids! For Pokémon appearing in Mega Raids, please check the May events blog.
- Event-exclusive Field Research tasks will lead to encounters with Dark-type Pokémon, including Galarian Zigzagoon, Scraggy, and more.
- Event-exclusive AR Mapping tasks will lead to encounters with Galarian Zigzagoon!
- You can use a Charged TM to help a Shadow Pokémon forget the Charged Attack Frustration.
In addition, you can work with other Trainers to defeat Team GO Rocket Grunts—and by doing so, you can unlock rewards during the second half of the event! From Saturday, May 15, 2021, at 12:00 a.m. to Sunday, May 23, 2021, at 11:59 p.m. UTC, you can work together with other Trainers worldwide to defeat 25 million Team GO Rocket Grunts in total. If that goal is met, the following special bonuses will be available from Tuesday, May 25, 2021, at 10:00 a.m. to Monday, May 31, 2021, at 8:00 p.m. local time.
- A 3× Catch XP bonus will be active for the rest of the event.
- If you’re lucky, you might find a Shiny Galarian Zigzagoon! Shiny Galarian Zigzagoon will continue to be available after the event.
- Galarian Zigzagoon will be appearing in one-star raids for the rest of the event.
Regardless of whether those rewards are unlocked, Trainers all around the world can look forward to the following during the second week of Luminous Legends Y.
Part 2 Date + Time
Tuesday, May 25, 2021, at 10:00 a.m. to Monday, May 31, 2021, at 8:00 p.m. local time
Part 2 Features
- Sylveon will be making its Pokémon GO debut! Evolve Eevee into Sylveon by earning hearts when it’s your buddy.
- Eevee, Ralts, Spritzee, Swirlix, and others will be appearing more often in the wild, alongside some of the Dark-type Pokémon featured in Part 1 of the event.
- The following Pokémon will be hatching from 7 km Eggs: Eevee, Cleffa, Igglybuff, Togepi, Azurill, Spritzee, and Swirlix.
- Some of Eevee’s Evolutions will be appearing in three-star raids! Keep an eye out for Vaporeon, Jolteon, Flareon, Espeon, and Umbreon.
- Event-exclusive Field Research tasks will lead to encounters with Eevee, some of Eevee’s Evolutions, and more.
- Event-exclusive AR Mapping tasks will reward Poffins!
- Sylveon-inspired avatar items will be available in the shop!
Please be aware of your surroundings and follow guidelines from local health authorities when playing Pokémon GO. Upcoming events are subject to change. Be sure to follow us on social media, opt in to receiving push notifications, and subscribe to our emails to stay updated. For the latest on in-game events and feature updates, be sure to check this help center article.
—The Pokémon GO team