A little late on this one on our part, but we have confirmation of yet another event for Pokemon Go: Niantic Sustainability Week. This one is rather unique, as we'll be working with other Niantic-run games in order to unlock cross-game rewards. But in this post, we'll only be looking at what it means for Pokemon Go.
|Event Start||Event End|
|April 20, 2021, at 10:00 a.m. local time||April 25, 2021, at 8:00 p.m. local time|
- The Water/Rock Type Pokemon Binacle and, by extension, its evolution, Barbaracle, are making their debut in Pokemon Go.
- A special selectin of Pokemon will be appearing more frequently in the wild.
- A special selection of Pokemon will be hatching from 5km eggs.
- A special selection of Pokemon will be appearing in raids
- Special event-exclusive field research will be available
- A timed-research line will be available
- A free avatar t-shirt will be available
Performing specific tasks in real life will count as "activations" which have the potential to unlock specific rewards. How do we achieve these activations? In general, it's a matter of helping local communities and posting pictures onto social media with a special hashtag. Check out Niantic's official page for more information. So let's take a look at what's available. Please keep in mind that when we reach a specific unlock level, we will also have all previous unlock levels remain active:
|Tier 1||2,500||Five Star raids will be more common|
|Tier 2||5,000||3 free remote raid passes in the shop|
|Tier 3||10,000||2x Catch XP|
Note that these rewards will only be active on April 25, 2021, from 10:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m. local time. So if you want to take advantage of any of these events, it's best to plan now!
We’re excited to announce that the Sustainability Week event is coming! In partnership with the Niantic Sustainability Campaign, you and your fellow Trainers can earn in-game bonuses by achieving various sustainability-related goals in the real world. In addition, Binacle will be making its Pokémon GO debut, and there will be a free Sustainability Week T-shirt avatar item available in the shop.
Date + Time
Tuesday, April 20, 2021, at 10:00 a.m. to Sunday, April 25, 2021, at 8:00 p.m. local time
- Binacle, the Two-Handed Pokémon, will be making its Pokémon GO debut!
- Pokémon like Grimer, Drilbur, Trubbish, Ferroseed, and more will be appearing more often in the wild. If you’re lucky, you might encounter a Shiny Trubbish!
- The following Pokémon will be hatching from 5 km Eggs: Diglett, Tangela, Goldeen, Budew, Cherubi, Finneon, and Drilbur.
- Vileplume, Alolan Exeggutor, Trubbish, Binacle, and more will be appearing in raids.
- Complete event-exclusive Field Research to earn encounters with Cottonee, Chespin, Binacle, and more.
- There will also be event-exclusive Timed Research for you to enjoy.
- A free Sustainability Week T-shirt avatar item will be available in the shop!
You can work alongside players of other Niantic games to unlock special tiered in-game rewards by participating in the Niantic Sustainability Campaign in the real world. The following rewards will be available on Sunday, April 25, 2021, from 10:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m. local time.
- Tier 1(2,500 activations): Five-star raids will appear more often.
- Tier 2 (5,000 activations): A free bundle containing three Remote Raid Passes will be available in the shop. The rewards from Tier 1 will remain active.
- Tier 3 (10,000 activations): A 2× Catch XP bonus will be live. The rewards from Tiers 1 and 2 will remain active.
For more details on how to unlock these rewards, please see the Niantic blog post here.
Please be aware of your surroundings and follow guidelines from local health authorities when playing Pokémon GO. Upcoming events are subject to change. Be sure to follow us on social media, opt in to receiving push notifications, and subscribe to our emails to stay updated. For the latest on in-game events and feature updates, be sure to check this help center article.
—The Pokémon GO team