We have a lot of ground to cover here, as Niantic just dropped a bit of a bombshell on us all at once! Let's get right into it!
First up on our list today is the introduction of a new class of egg: the red Strange Egg
These eggs are uniquely available only from defeating a Team Rocket boss. They will be obtained if you have a spare egg slot when said boss is beaten, and take 12km of walking to hatch, making them the first egg class to overtake the 10km egg as the new longest distance to hatch egg in the game.
Sadly, these eggs do not hatch Shadow Pokemon. Instead, they hatch a selection of Dark and Poison Type Pokemon, many of which are new releases! We've compiled the known list of Pokemon that can hatch from 12k eggs into our Egg List, but keep in mind that this list is still early and may not be complete.
Before You Buy Incubators....
Let's be brutally honest here; Niantic has been less than aboveboard with eggs and rates in the past. Before you spend money on any incubators in hopes of hatching the newest additions to Pokemon Go, please take a quick look at this Reddit thread by goshe7, which sums up the situation perfectly.
Note that these eggs are not part of a temporary event, they are a new feature that will continue to be available moving forward.
An Inter-egg-sting Development
Giovanni's back with a new scheme, so it's time to take his Shadow Legendary again!
The special research is titled "An Inter-egg-sting Development", and is available now. The steps for this special research will go live on our Research Tasks List shortly after this news update is posted!
So what's the reward for this line? None other than Shadow Mewtwo!
The Pokemon generally considered to have the highest general utility in the game is now available to players who did not partake in Go Fest 2020, and even those who have already obtained this monster can soon obtain another!
Extremely Important Note!
DO NOT TURN IN THIS QUEST LINE UNTIL AT LEAST !:00 P.M. LOCAL TIME TOMORROW (October 13)! Giovanni will not have Shadow Mewtwo until then. On that same note, waiting until 8:00 p/m. local time on October 13 will also give you a chance to get double candy!
Autumn Event: Part 2
The Autumn event continues, leading us ever closer to Halloween; the first event that Pokemon Go ever celebrated way back in 2016! (Remember the memes about 2016 being the worst year ever? If we'd only known...)
|Event Start||Event End|
|October 12, 2020, at 1:00 p.m. PDT||October 19, 2020, at 10:00 p.m. PDT|
- Egg hatch distance is 1/4 normal distance
- Team Rocket grunts will be taking over stops more frequently
- The Team Rocket balloon will appear more frequently
- Team Rocket grunts and leaders will have new lineups
- Special event snapshot photobombs with event spawns will be available
- Special Team Rocket leader outfits are available in the shop
- A special selection of Poison and Dark Type Pokemon will be appearing more frequently in the wild
A lot to process here, but suffice to say that Shadow Mewtwo is the main goal of this entire event, and should be prioritized in general, though it's not going anywhere even if the research line isn't finished before the event ends. As always, the other shadows that we'll have the opportunity to capture along the way are also important, so hopefully we all catch at least one worth raising! And good luck with any 12k eggs that you may hatch!
Remember when we predicted that different Pokémon might be hatching from Eggs soon due to the temperature change? While it’s true that different Pokémon will be hatching from Eggs, we might have been a bit naïve with our initial assessment.
It turns out, Team GO Rocket has been collecting a new type of Egg called Strange Eggs. These Eggs seem to hatch Poison-type Pokémon, Dark-type Pokémon, and Pokémon that acquire one of those types via Evolution. Fortunately, it doesn’t seem that the Pokémon hatching from these Eggs have been harmed in any way, but regardless, Team GO Rocket’s activities are always a little worrisome!
Date + Time
Monday, October 12, 2020, at 1:00 p.m. to Monday, October 19, 2020, at 10:00 p.m. PDT (GMT −7)
- Strange Eggs have appeared in Pokémon GO! According to Spark’s early research, the following Poison-type Pokémon, Dark-type Pokémon, and Pokémon that acquire one of those types via Evolution can hatch from these Eggs: Larvitar, Scraggy, Trubbish, and Vullaby—though there may be even more!
- Defeat a Team GO Rocket Leader to receive a Strange Egg, and walk 12 km to hatch it. You’ll need to have space in your Egg inventory before your battle with Sierra, Cliff, or Arlo in order to receive a Strange Egg. Strange Eggs will continue to be available in Pokémon GO after the event ends.
- Eggs placed in Incubators during the event will require one-quarter the normal walking distance to hatch.
- For the first time since March, new Team GO Rocket Special Research will be available! Join Professor Willow as he and the team leaders investigate Team GO Rocket’s involvement with Strange Eggs, culminating in a battle with Giovanni himself! This is the last Team GO Rocket Special Research in 2020. If you currently have the The Shadowy Threat Grows Special Research from earlier this year, you’ll need to complete it first before you can obtain this new Special Research.
- Poison-type and Dark-type Pokémon will be appearing more often in the wild! Look forward to encountering Spinarak, Houndour, Poochyena, Gulpin, Stunky, Purrloin and more.
- Team GO Rocket will be more active than usual! Keep an eye out for Team GO Rocket taking over more PokéStops and Team GO Rocket balloons appearing more often.
- Take a snapshot for a surprise!
- Team GO Rocket Leader avatar items are now available in the shop. Perhaps you could use these avatar items to infiltrate and investigate Team GO Rocket! GO forth, Trainer!
In addition, we’ve heard reports that Team GO Rocket Grunts now is using the following Shadow Pokémon: Diglett, Shellder, Slowpoke,, Aerodactyl, and Skarmory. Team GO Rocket Leaders also appear to be using Shadow Growlithe, Shadow Drowzee, and Shadow Omanyte—if you’re incredibly lucky, you might be able to rescue a Shiny version of one of these Shadow Pokémon. Finally, defeat Giovanni for a chance to rescue Shadow Mewtwo! This is the first time Shadow Mewtwo is available in Pokémon GO outside of the Rocket Straight to Victory Special Research, which was exclusive to Pokémon GO Fest 2020.
After this event begins on Monday, October 12, 2020, at 1:00 p.m. PDT (GMT −7), you’ll be able to save Shadow Mewtwo and Shadow Pokémon from Giovanni, the Team GO Rocket Leaders, and Grunts when those Team GO Rocket members are piloting Team GO Rocket balloons. However, you won’t be able to encounter the Team GO Rocket Leaders’ new Shadow Pokémon or Shadow Mewtwo from PokéStops until the next day in your local time.
Team GO Rocket never rests, Trainers, and neither can we! It looks like these Strange Eggs are here to stay. Let’s save as many of these Strange Eggs as possible from Team GO Rocket!
Please be aware of your surroundings and follow guidelines from local health authorities when playing Pokémon GO. Upcoming events are subject to change. Be sure to follow us on social media, opt in to receiving push notifications, and subscribe to our emails to stay updated. For the latest on in-game events and feature updates, be sure to check this help center article.
—The Pokémon GO team