Pokemon GO has unleashed Clodsire, and it’s good. Clodsire is basically a Galarian Stunfisk/Quagsire like Pokemon that resists Fighting-type damage. Registeel and Medicham, beware. Usually these Energy/Charge Move focused Pokemon only care about bulk, but Clodsire has some juicy Atk Breakpoints (including a mirror breakpoint). The Clodsire PvP IV Deep Dive aims to guide players through Clodsire’s stats and highlight the best Clodsire PvP IVs.
Note: this guide discusses the hidden true stats of Pokemon in Pokemon GO. In order to see these true stats you need to use an IV checking app (CalcyIV, Pokegenie) or an IV checking website (GOStadium, PvPIVs.com, or PvPoke itself). To make things simple, the guide also features standard PvP IV tables.
If you’re not familiar with PvP IVs, check out this PvP IVs Simplified video:
PvP IV Tables
The tables hyperlinked below feature the IV spreads that meet some of the more important stat checks highlighted in the article. It’s important to review the guide itself to make sure you’re getting what you want out of your Clodsire. For example, you may want a slightly higher Atk or Def weight for higher Breakpoint potential.
- Specific checks are based on the Serperior 1-1
- 2 HP above the recommendations will be more consistent
- 121.23 Def w/ 212 HP or 118 Def w/ 215 HP may maintain the Lickitung 1-1
- 119.4+ Def is more resilient vs the mirror, Deoxys (0-0), and Trevenant (1-1)
- 96.8 Atk for Clefable 1-2 (MS) and Spark Lanturn 0-1 (MS)
- 97.22 Atk for Mud Shot BP vs Rank 1 Clodsire
- >97.4 for Lickitung CMP (1-1 flip)
Clodsire in the Great League
Clodsire has 2 main flavors in the Great League, high bulk and high Atk. Both variations are mindful of their Def stat to avoid the mirror breakpoint from opposing Clodsire. 116.45 Def will protect against the Rank 1, but the higher the better. A bulk focused Clodsire will want at least 119.51 Def to help manage the Serperior 1-1, Lickitung 2-1, Medicham 0-0, Trevenant 1-1, and Deoxys 0-0. The Serperior and Lickitung matchups can be very demanding on bulk. 212 HP may work, but having 214 would be safer. Alternatively, 2 HP can be traded for >121 Def. Verify the matchups on PvPoke.com vs a variety of stated opponents to verify your Clodsire meets your bulk standards.
An Atk focused Clodsire won’t be obtaining the highest of bulk based matchups, so it can reasonably soften its Def to 118.09 (Powder Snow Alolan Ninetales 0-0 potential) and HP to ~199. 96.5 Atk is recommended to enable the Medicham 1-1 & Deoxys 1-2. A 119.4+ Def stat may still enable the Deoxys 0-0 and Trevenant 1-1, while also helping protect against opposing mirror breakpoints. Do note that all the above Atk Breakpoints are functional for both Mud Shot and Poison Sting Clodsire.
If you want to experiment more with Atk, consider the following Atk Breakpoints, based on Rank 1 opponents unless stated otherwise: Fast Move Breakpoints will be bolded:
- 94, Swampert 1-0 (ms)
- 96.2 for Poison Sting
- 94.48, Shadow Alolan Sandslash 0-0 EQ BP (ps)
- 94.7, Mantine 2-2 SB BP (ps)
- 95.55, Powder Snow Alolan Ninetales 2-2 SB BP (ps)
- 95.78, Charm Shadow Alolan Ninetales 1-2 SB BP (ms)
- 95.8, Sableye 0-0 SB & EQ BP (ps)
- 96.49, Deoxys 1-2 Mud Shot BP
- 96.5, Medicham 1-1 SB & EQ BP
- 96.6, Spark Lanturn 0-1 EQ BP (ms)
- 96.86, Clefable 1-2 Mud Shot BP
- 97.15, Mud Shot Mirror BP 0-0, 1-1, & 2-2 potential
- 97.15, Noctowl 0-0 SB BP (ms)
- 97.4+, Lickitung CMP for 1-1
- 98.09, Lanturn 1-2 EQ BP (ps)
A Mud Shot Clodsire pushing for 97.15 Atk can give a significant advantage in the Mirror, as well as against Clefable and Deoxys. While chasing Lickitung CMP may be tantalizing, the cost in bulk, along with how often a Lickitung will have 98+ Atk, makes it a little dubious. As for all the Charge Move Breakpoints, they could easily be obtained through your opponents having a lower bulk version of the Pokemon. All in all, your mileage may vary.
With Carbink on the rise, Clodsire is a solid non-Steel-type answer. While Clodsire isn’t as impactful as Shadow Nidoqueen was in her heyday, it is a nice addition to the meta. While bulk is likely the name of the game for this energy based Pokemon, it does have some cheeky Atk options, along with that Mirror Slaying potential.