At last, it's time for us to step into the realm of the legends of the Kalos region. Canonically used as catalysts for an earth-shattering weapon that nearly tore the world asunder and split the timeline of the main Pokemon Series into multiple splinters, the legendary Pokemon Xerneas and Yveltal have long been fan-favorites.
It's time to prepare for their grand arrival, as we look on to the first Legendary Pokemon of the region to set foot in Pokemon GO; the Life Pokemon Xerneas, and its own event to honor its coming!
The Legendary Pokemon Xerneas
|Raids Start||Raids End|
|May 4, 2021 at 10:00 a.m. local time||May 18, 2021 at 8:00 p.m. local time|
Xerneas, the Life Pokemon and mascot of Pokemon X, is a radiant creature of shining brilliance that's said to share its eternal life with those around it.... and maybe that's why it's on its way to being bad at killing literally everything.
Xerneas is a very, very unfortunate case. Its fast moves are Tackle and Zen Headbutt, and that's about the extent of its best possible moves. In the main series, it learns almost no moves that have been translated into Fast Moves in Pokemon Go, and none of them are good in PvP and PvE. Right now, its only true hopes are that either Misty Terrain or Misty Explosion are added as a fast move (not extremely fitting, but literally the only non-signature Fairy Type moves that it learns that aren't already taken), or that they give it its signature move, Geomancy, as a fast move or a charged move that's so blatantly over-powered that it can overcome these shortcomings.
Speaking of; did you watch the video shown above? In it, Xerneas and Yveltal are shown using their signature moves, Geomancy and Oblivion Wing, respectively. Perhaps we're in for a moveset-shakeup pre-release...? Time will tell.
In essence, we recommend that you catch a few just for the dex entry and for hope that it will be better in the future, but don't invest in it until further notice.
Luminous Legends X
During its time in the spotlight, we will also have a special event in honor of Xerneas.
- Swirlix, Spritzee, and Goomy will make their debut, along-side their evolutions.
- A special timed research line will be available, which offers encounters with Spritzee and Swirlix and can even grant the new Rainy Lure Module.
- The new Rainy Lure Module will make its debut, which attracts Pokemon boosted in rainy weather. It will also be used to evolve Sliggoo into Goodra when in its vicinity, though normal rain can also have this effect.
- AR mapping tasks that lead to encounters with Galarian Ponyta will be available
- Dragonite and Salamence will be able to learn Draco Meteor and Outrage respectively if evolved from their second stages, or if you use a normal charged TM during the event window!
- A special selection of Fairy and Dragon Type Pokemon will be hatching from eggs, rewarded from research tasks, and appearing in raids during the event
After this event, Luminous Legends Y is set to release with the grant arrival of Yveltal, the Destruction Pokemon. We will go more in-depth with this event once details are released!
|Event Start||Event End/Bonus Start||Bonus End|
|May 4, 2021, at 10:00 a.m. local time||May 11, 2021, at 8:00 p.m. local time||May 17, 2021, at 8:00 p.m. local time|
During the time outlined above, players will be able to catch Fairy Type Pokemon in order to reach a 500 million global goal in order to unlock the following rewards:
- 3x Catch XP
- The release of the Fighting Type Pokemon Pancham
- The release of Shiny Galarian Ponyta
Luminous Legends X: Xerneas makes its Pokémon GO debut alongside Dragon- and Fairy-type Pokémon originally discovered in the Kalos region!
A legend will soon illuminate our world: Xerneas, the Life Pokémon, will make its Pokémon GO debut during the Luminous Legends X event! Some Dragon- and Fairy-type Pokémon originally discovered in the Kalos region will be coming along for the journey as well, such as Spritzee, Swirlix, and Goomy! A new item will also be coming to Pokémon GO—the Rainy Lure Module, which can be used to evolve Sliggoo (the Evolution of Goomy) into Goodra. You can also evolve Sliggoo when the in-game weather is rainy.
Date + Time
Tuesday, May 4, 2021 at 10:00 a.m. to Monday, May 17, 2021 at 8:00 p.m. local time
- Xerneas will make its Pokémon GO debut in five-star raids! This Fairy-type Legendary Pokémon originally discovered in the Kalos region has horns on its head that shine in seven different colors, and legends say it’s known to share everlasting life.
- Spritzee, Swirlix, and Goomy will be making their Pokémon GO debuts! Spritzee and Swirlix will be appearing more frequently in the wild alongside other Dragon- and Fairy-type Pokémon, like Dratini, Ralts, Bagon, Cottonee, and more. If you’re extremely lucky, you might find a Goomy in the wild!
- Rainy Lure Modules are coming to Pokémon GO! This Lure Module will attract certain Pokémon that like rain, such as Water-, Bug-, and Electric-type Pokémon. When you’re near a PokéStop with an active Rainy Lure Module, you can evolve Sliggoo (the Evolution of Goomy) into Goodra. You can also evolve Sliggoo when the in-game weather is rainy.
- Complete event-exclusive Timed Research to encounter Fairy-type Pokémon, including Spritzee and Swirlix, as well as receive a Rainy Lure Module and other rewards.
- The following Pokémon will be hatching from 7 km Eggs: Cleffa, Igglybuff, Azurill, Gible, Swirlix, and Spritzee.
- Psychic-, Dragon- and Fairy-type Pokémon like Galarian Ponyta, Alolan Exeggutor, Xerneas, and more will be appearing in raids!
- Event-exclusive Field Research tasks will lead to encounters with Psychic-, Dragon- and Fairy-type Pokémon, including Galarian Ponyta, Gible, Spritzee, and Swirlix.
- Event-exclusive AR Mapping tasks will lead to encounters with Galarian Ponyta!
- Dragonite and Salamence will be able to learn certain attacks during this event! Evolve a Dragonair or use a Charged TM on a Dragonite to teach it Draco Meteor, and evolve a Shelgon or use a Charged TM on a Salamence to teach it Outrage.
In addition, you can work with other Trainers to catch Fairy-type Pokémon—by doing so, you can unlock rewards during the second half of the event! From Tuesday, May 4, 2021, at 10:00 a.m. to Tuesday May 11, 2021, at 8:00 p.m. local time, you and other Trainers worldwide can work together to catch 500 million Fairy-type Pokémon in total. If the goal is met, special bonuses will be available from Tuesday, May 11, 2021, at 10:00 a.m. to Monday, May 17, 2021, at 8:00 p.m. local time.
- A 3× Catch XP bonus will be active for the rest of the event.
- Pancham will make its Pokémon GO debut, appearing in raids for the rest of the event.
- If you’re lucky, you might find a Shiny Galarian Ponyta! Shiny Galarian Ponyta will continue to be available after the event.
You can also look forward to the Luminous Legends Y event, coming soon! In this event, the Legendary Pokémon Yveltal, the Destruction Pokémon, will be making its Pokémon GO debut, and Pancham will be hatching from Strange Eggs. More details to come soon!
Please be aware of your surroundings and follow guidelines from local health authorities when playing Pokémon GO. Upcoming events are subject to change. Be sure to follow us on social media, opt in to receiving push notifications, and subscribe to our emails to stay updated. For the latest on in-game events and feature updates, be sure to check this help center article.
—The Pokémon GO team