Well, we just made out of the Slowpoke event. Rather an odd one, but okay; at least we can expect to be free of events focused on oddball Pokemon!
.....what? Seriously? Okay, well I guess what we're doing this!
It's time for Pokemon Go to celebrate one of the single most meme'd Pokemon in the history of the entire series; it's time for the Bidoof Breakout Event!
....yes, we're apparently doing this now.
Bidoof Breakout Event
|Event Start||Event End|
|June 25, 2021, at 10:00 a.m. local time||July 1, 2021, at 8:00 p.m. local time|
- Bidoof will appear more frequently in the wild, in research, and will have its Shiny forme released. Bidoof's shiny rate is stated to rise as the event goes on.
- Bidoof caught during the event will have special charged moves
|Event Move||Catch Period Start||Catch Period End|
|Shadow Ball||June 25, 2021, at 10:00 a.m. local time||June 26, 2021, at 11:59 p.m. local time|
|Thunderbolt||June 27, 2021, at 12:00 a.m. local time||June 28, 2021, at 11:59 p.m. local time|
|Ice Beam||June 29, 2021, at 12:00 a.m. local time||June 30, 2021, at 11:59 p.m. local time|
- On July 1 from 8:00 a.m. to 10:00 p.m. local time, players will be able to use normal Charged TMs to gain these moves on Bidoof. After this, they will become Elite Moves.
- Evolve a Bidoof during the event to gain a Bibarel that knows.... Hyper Beam? But Bibarel already has Hyper Beam as a part of its base moveset...?
- Team Rocket Grunts will have Shadow Bidoof.. but hopefully not 100% of the time.
- We can also grab new Bidoof-themed stickers from Pokestops and Gifts.... because why not?
Yes, this event is weird. On the surface, it offers absolutely nothing of actual value. However, it's good to remember that we're drawing ever closer to Go Fest 2021, which promises to be a very big deal. A random fluff event along the way isn't a huge deal, and Bidoof may have use if the Little Cup or a similar format makes it way back to the Go Battle League.... if Niantic gives it a usable fast move.
Honestly, the biggest take-away from this announcement is Bibarel learning Hyper Beam on evolution... a move that it already learns naturally. Is this a way to ensure that a specific normal move is always given, or just a random mistake in the event page? Time will tell, but regardless: this event is definitely strange!
Bidoof are coming. We have no idea where they’re coming from or what their aim is, but during the Bidoof Breakout event starting Friday, June 25, 2021, Bidoof will be appearing more often in the wild, they might know attacks they can’t normally learn, and Shiny Bidoof will be making its Pokémon GO debut! How many Bidoof will you catch? When will it end? Read on for more details. Good luck—you’re going to need it.
Date + Time
Friday, June 25, 2021, at 10:00 a.m. to Thursday, July 1, 2021, at 8:00 p.m. local time
- Bidoof will be appearing more often in the wild, in raids, and in encounters after you complete event-exclusive Field Research! If you’re lucky, you might encounter a Shiny Bidoof! Our preliminary research suggests that the rate at which Bidoof will be appearing in the wild will increase over the course of the event.
- On certain days of the event, Bidoof you encounter will know attacks that they normally cannot learn. On Thursday, July 1, 2021, from 10:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m. local time, you can use a Charged TM to teach Bidoof any of these attacks. After the event, you can use an Elite Charged TM to do the same. During each of the times listed below, you can encounter Bidoof that know the following attacks.
- Shadow Ball: From Friday, June 25, 2021, at 10:00 a.m. to Saturday, June 26, 2021, at 11:59 p.m. local time
- Thunderbolt: From Sunday, June 27, 2021, at 12:00 a.m. to Monday, June 28, 2021, at 11:59 p.m. local time
- Ice Beam: From Tuesday, June 29, 2021, at 12:00 a.m. to Wednesday, June 30, 2021, at 11:59 p.m. local time
- Evolve Bidoof anytime during the event to get a Bibarel that knows Hyper Beam.
- Team GO Rocket has plans to cash in on the Bidoof Breakout and have turned more Bidoof into Shadow Pokémon, so get out there and save those Bidoof!
- You’ll be able to get Bidoof Gift stickers from spinning PokéStops and opening Gifts.
On certain days throughout the week, different in-game bonuses will be available!
- 2× Catch XP: From Friday, June 25, 2021, at 10:00 a.m. to Saturday, June 26, 2021, at 11:59 p.m. local time
- 3× Catch XP: From Sunday, June 27, 2021, at 12:00 a.m. to Monday, June 28, 2021, at 11:59 p.m. local time
- 4× Catch XP: From Tuesday, June 29, 2021, at 12:00 a.m. to Wednesday, June 30, 2021, at 11:59 p.m. local time
Keep an eye out for more details on what’s to come Bidoof-wise on Monday, June 28, 2021! Ready or not, the Bidoof are coming. It’s an inevitable fact—an indomitable truth, even—and we must prepare. Let’s GO!
Please be aware of your surroundings and follow guidelines from local health authorities when playing Pokémon GO. Upcoming events are subject to change. Be sure to follow us on social media, opt in to receiving push notifications, and subscribe to our emails to stay updated. For the latest on in-game events and feature updates, be sure to check this help center article.
—The Pokémon GO team